Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to my little blog about gardening in a city! Minneapolis, to be exact.  One of my best friends suggested I start a blog so he could keep up with what's happening on my little slice of paradise, and I took him up on the offer. Disclaimer:  I'm no professional-I just happen to have grown up in a garden-crazy household (and I swore through gritted teeth that I would NEVER do this stupid stuff when I was older) and I'm blessed with some really knowledgeable friends. I hope to share the goings-on of my gardens, and learn from all of you, too!
My husband and I live with our two dogs in a little white house (yes, there's even a white picket fence!) on the south side of town with lots of gardens scattered about. My love for plants is equally divided between edible and ornamental, so this blog will cover both. We find that we're mixing the two more and more-mostly because one thing an urban garden does not have is a lot of space. Last, but not least, Jon and I are committed to the principals of organic gardening, and while not experts by any stretch of the imagination, we hope to show how easy it is to do.
I also happen to be a chef, so if it's O.K. with you, I'll be sharing what happens once my lovelies are ripe and ready for eating, cooking, preserving and more.
Thanks for stopping by, 
Heather

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Taste

Just a quick post before I get down to the giant veggie update. And perhaps an explanation of where I've been for the past few weeks: friends with new baby, parties at the Canadian Consul General's house, fundraisers for Haiti, a couple of birthday parties, a wedding, making a wedding cake, finishing the Lazyman Triathalon, and a bit of garden fatigue. But I miss posting, and I'm back. It's starting to feel as if summer's over before it began, but such is life.

I've only minutes until I need to leave for work, so here are a few flowers to admire.

In the front herb garden, Lily the sculpture is being overrun by some enthusiastic red petunias:

And the canna lilly bulbs that Ray gave me have become lovely large plants:

In the back, the tree branch trellis, (created from when Josh pruned the crabapple in the side yard) and which I slaved over in June, is now covered in gorgeous Morning Glories:


These Buttercream sunflowers are about 7 foot tall, and the best part is I can see them through my kitchen window:



This little sunflower, the Joker, toughed it out in the wilds of the back fence:


It's the only sunflower that survived the squirrels and my neglect. It's really a bit of a jungle in that area.

Even the sweet little Marigolds that help protect the vegetable garden are breaking their bounds:

1 comment:

  1. Ooh la la! Have I seen Lily the sculpture before? Can't recall that I ever have.

    Looks like you've been MORE than busy. Hope you can slow down a bit come October and share a little of all that love. (wink, wink)

    ReplyDelete