Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to my little blog about gardening in a city! Minneapolis, to be exact.  One of my best friends suggested I start a blog so he could keep up with what's happening on my little slice of paradise, and I took him up on the offer. Disclaimer:  I'm no professional-I just happen to have grown up in a garden-crazy household (and I swore through gritted teeth that I would NEVER do this stupid stuff when I was older) and I'm blessed with some really knowledgeable friends. I hope to share the goings-on of my gardens, and learn from all of you, too!
My husband and I live with our two dogs in a little white house (yes, there's even a white picket fence!) on the south side of town with lots of gardens scattered about. My love for plants is equally divided between edible and ornamental, so this blog will cover both. We find that we're mixing the two more and more-mostly because one thing an urban garden does not have is a lot of space. Last, but not least, Jon and I are committed to the principals of organic gardening, and while not experts by any stretch of the imagination, we hope to show how easy it is to do.
I also happen to be a chef, so if it's O.K. with you, I'll be sharing what happens once my lovelies are ripe and ready for eating, cooking, preserving and more.
Thanks for stopping by, 
Heather

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Strange summer

In case you needed further evidence of the cool, wet month that just ended:



Found in the front lawn. Seriously, when I spotted it I thought it was someone's softball.



And no, Dad, I didn't eat it. But, why can't there be morels or chanterelles or lobster mushrooms in the lawn?
Well, the obvious smarty-pants reason is that morels favor places where elms are/were, chanterelles favor mature oak, fir, and hemlock, and the lobster mushroom, well, they're really weird-they've actually been infected by a parasitical fungus that causes them to turn that signature lobster color and stop growing gills.
On the optimistic side, two or three elms were removed from my block this year due to Dutch Elm Disease, so there's always a chance that one day I'll wake up to fresh morels. A girl can dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment