Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to my little blog about gardening in a city! Minneapolis, to be exact.  One of my best friends suggested I start a blog so he could keep up with what's happening on my little slice of paradise, and I took him up on the offer. Disclaimer:  I'm no professional-I just happen to have grown up in a garden-crazy household (and I swore through gritted teeth that I would NEVER do this stupid stuff when I was older) and I'm blessed with some really knowledgeable friends. I hope to share the goings-on of my gardens, and learn from all of you, too!
My husband and I live with our two dogs in a little white house (yes, there's even a white picket fence!) on the south side of town with lots of gardens scattered about. My love for plants is equally divided between edible and ornamental, so this blog will cover both. We find that we're mixing the two more and more-mostly because one thing an urban garden does not have is a lot of space. Last, but not least, Jon and I are committed to the principals of organic gardening, and while not experts by any stretch of the imagination, we hope to show how easy it is to do.
I also happen to be a chef, so if it's O.K. with you, I'll be sharing what happens once my lovelies are ripe and ready for eating, cooking, preserving and more.
Thanks for stopping by, 
Heather

Monday, July 20, 2009

Break from the Garden: Trip to Stockholm


It was my birthday this weekend, and one of my most anticipated celebrations was the trip to Stockholm for pie. No, not that Stockholm, although, come to think of it, I've spent a birthday there, too.
This particular Stockholm is about 8 miles southeast of Maiden Rock, home of one of the puppies' favorite beaches:










Although, to be honest, this little jaunt was about the pie. Not just any pie, mind you. Stockholm Pie Company Pie. Pie that is actually worth driving an hour and a half for. Pie that is worth an hour at the gym for. Pie that is truly the best pie I have ever had. 
This cute little shop is only a few people wide and has a giant pie cabinet behind the counter:

The shop is owned by Jan, who does all the baking. Jan usually offers up some 2 dozen flavors of pie by the slice, as indicated in her handwriting on the chalkboard. She also sells whole pies, baby pies, and pie cookies (little 4 inch circles of pie dough with a spoonful of filling, another circle of pie dough, and brushed with a bit of sugar and cinnamon before baking):


The husband went for a half-slice of Peanut Butter Fudge, and a half-slice of Blueberry. He declared the Blueberry the best slice he's ever eaten. That's pretty huge if you know my Jon.
Notice by the time I got the camera out the blueberry was nothing but a juicy smear on the plate:


I had a terrible time deciding, but went for a half-slice of Coconut Cream and a half-slice of Blueberry Pear, both excellent:


I am becoming a huge fan of pear with anything...I was given a jar of pear-raspberry jam last year and it topped my Top 5 Jam List.
Since we knew we wouldn't get back to Stockholm for a few months, we also took another slice of Blueberry, a slice of Apple Raspberry Strawberry, and an Apple Pie cookie, to go.
What a great way to spend a birthday weekend!

3 comments:

  1. First I thought the picture of Lily was the best ever, then I saw the picture of Frank and more specifically, his tongue floating in the wind. I declare that the best picture ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at your photo taking skills! Well done.

    Just a guess, but will the next trip to Stockholm be sometime in between October 9th and October 25th?

    Oh- and pie cookies?! Only the best idea of 2009. I WILL be making a batch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a wonderful day. Happy Birthday from Mom. Dad and I went to see Harry Potter and the half blood prince. Enjoyed it. First movie in over 2 years that we have gone too. Do british mystries from netflx. Anyone watch the premiere of "The Wanted" last night. Any thoughts you would care to share.

    ReplyDelete