Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to my little blog about gardening in a city! Minneapolis, to be exact.  One of my best friends suggested I start a blog so he could keep up with what's happening on my little slice of paradise, and I took him up on the offer. Disclaimer:  I'm no professional-I just happen to have grown up in a garden-crazy household (and I swore through gritted teeth that I would NEVER do this stupid stuff when I was older) and I'm blessed with some really knowledgeable friends. I hope to share the goings-on of my gardens, and learn from all of you, too!
My husband and I live with our two dogs in a little white house (yes, there's even a white picket fence!) on the south side of town with lots of gardens scattered about. My love for plants is equally divided between edible and ornamental, so this blog will cover both. We find that we're mixing the two more and more-mostly because one thing an urban garden does not have is a lot of space. Last, but not least, Jon and I are committed to the principals of organic gardening, and while not experts by any stretch of the imagination, we hope to show how easy it is to do.
I also happen to be a chef, so if it's O.K. with you, I'll be sharing what happens once my lovelies are ripe and ready for eating, cooking, preserving and more.
Thanks for stopping by, 
Heather

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Farmer's Market Exchange

Many weeks ago, my favorite Norwegian proposed a simple idea on her outstanding blog (note the NEW location): 

A Farmer's Market Exchange

All we participants had to do was visit our local farmer's market, pick up some locally produced items that travel well, and send them off into the world. Siri paired everyone up, and I was lucky enough to draw Greg Henry (author of yet another great blog, Sippity Sup) who lives in Los Angeles. I received a giant padded envelope a week or two ago, and my, what treasures it contained!

My envelope of yum had dried pear halves (those lasted a day and a half-you're right Greg, they're addicting), California green olives, an adorable recipe card for a fruit and tomato and herb salad, and these:

These are not highly polished rocks from the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. 
These are treasures-baby potatoes of purple, gold, blue, and red. See the quarter over there in front of the purple guy on the right? That's how small they are-twice a quarter. And the taste! The husband and I knew, the moment that I opened this package, how we were going to cook them.
Steam! Steam, you say? A bit boring? Au contraire! When you have something as precious from the earth as this, it's essential to get out of the way-let the food be the food, if you will...
We fired up the trusty Chinatown bamboo steamer and steamed them until they were perfect (which means, when you spear one with a long, thin, knife, the potato slides right off), gently broke them open with a fork (all the better to admire their colors), drizzled them with some of our prized, brought-home-in-Mom-and-Dad's-luggage Greek olive oil, sprinkled a little salt, and did our best to eat them as slowly as possible to savor every last delicious potato bite.
Thanks, Greg!
Some of you may be wondering what star examples of Minnesota cuisine I sent to L.A?
I sent a bag of whole wheat graham crackers from Very Prairie, made in Minnesota, of course, and with local flours. I also sent a jar of pepper jelly from the amazing Lucille's Kitchen Garden and a jar of homemade blueberry syrup, picked by yours truly at Northwoods Organic Produce in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota.
Happy exchanging!





No comments:

Post a Comment