Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to my little blog about gardening in a city! Minneapolis, to be exact.  One of my best friends suggested I start a blog so he could keep up with what's happening on my little slice of paradise, and I took him up on the offer. Disclaimer:  I'm no professional-I just happen to have grown up in a garden-crazy household (and I swore through gritted teeth that I would NEVER do this stupid stuff when I was older) and I'm blessed with some really knowledgeable friends. I hope to share the goings-on of my gardens, and learn from all of you, too!
My husband and I live with our two dogs in a little white house (yes, there's even a white picket fence!) on the south side of town with lots of gardens scattered about. My love for plants is equally divided between edible and ornamental, so this blog will cover both. We find that we're mixing the two more and more-mostly because one thing an urban garden does not have is a lot of space. Last, but not least, Jon and I are committed to the principals of organic gardening, and while not experts by any stretch of the imagination, we hope to show how easy it is to do.
I also happen to be a chef, so if it's O.K. with you, I'll be sharing what happens once my lovelies are ripe and ready for eating, cooking, preserving and more.
Thanks for stopping by, 
Heather

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day!



Few of you may know this, but the 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. I love, love, love it. 
I love the flag bunting on my cute white house, I love making pie with star shaped red white and blue sprinkles.
I love the beer and cheeseburgers (American cheese ONLY, thank you very much) and more than anything I love this crazy, mixed up but ultimately awesome and freedom loving country that I am privileged to be a citizen of. It doesn't hurt that my man made it to the White House, either. It also doesn't hurt that I'm watching the Boston Pops fireworks program, and Ray Charles is singing America the Beautiful. Super Awesome!

Speaking of hard working, I had the luxury of working hard all day today, under slightly cloudy skies, the occasional nice breeze, and with the fine company of my doggies.
I started with planting the box full of spider day lilies that my mother sent me. They should be quite stunning-they have a very tropical look what with their thin, elongated petals and exotic colors. Here's an example:


Proof that there's nothing my Mom can't do, she included in the lily gift box a garlic braid, from her garden and braided with her own two hands:

I've got it hanging in the dining room so it can dry out completely.

Next came the accidental cleaning of my garage gutters. Accidental because I happened to see my neighbor, Louise, and asked her about a ladder, which I needed to do the job. She not only had one, but insisted on holding the ladder. I took an amazing amount of gunk out, and did her garage gutters since I was already dirty.

At that point I realized I had to deliver something to my friends at work before they all left for the day:

I had to take some to my sweet Jared who had to work today-and I thought it would make everyone's day a little brighter. It was coconut cream, which I don't think I've had in a decade. The crust was painted with dark chocolate before filling with the coconut custard, and I think that's the way to go. It was so rich and yummy, I may just have to put it in my repertoire.

Back at the urban garden, it was time to divide and replant the hostas. I also rearranged many of them. Since they've had a few years to grow out, I've had the opportunity to see that some have grown more or less than expected. I've also learned that sometimes the best thing you can do for a garden is to take something out and put it somewhere else. As a result of all this planting, dividing, and rearranging, I believe the back yard fence garden is more lush, dense and attractive.

The tall silver feathery plants in the background are a native prairie sage:

Here's a panorama, from the far east side following the fence to the far west side:



Note the cute little grapes:


This grapevine was on the original chain link fence that came with the house. We had to cut it away to remove the fence, and I had really forgotten about it until this year, when it presented itself with great gusto. We like it, and I think we'll encourage it to grow along the new wood fence. It seems to add a bit of weight and age to this quite new garden.

This is my favorite hosta of them all, and one that I did not divide this year. It's name is Abiquita Drinking Gourd, and if you look closely at this photo you can see why:

The morning glories are finally starting to climb up their tree trellises, as are the hops. I hope that sooner rather than later the trellis will be covered in flowers so the neighbors stop thinking I'm weird.


That's about it for the flower garden in the back yard. Next time, an overview of the veggies, which are doing very well!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pie Heather, it was great. Especially loved the chocolate and crust. It's kind of funny, when you're reading too fast early on a Sunday morning, "the flag bunting on my house," looks like flag burning on my house! :) I had to go back and read that line over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have figured out how to do this. I signed in under the gmail I use for google analytics. Which was Heather's idea by the way. It tells me where and who is logging onto my website for the bullies.

    The gardens look wonderful Heather. We have harvested our garlic and peas. Cucumbers and beans are in and we are fighting the bunnies for possesion of the bean crop.

    Daylilies here are winding down but have been spectacular. Heather, I sent you a link for ground covers. A friend of mine was here for the weekend showing dogs in performance events. She is a master gardener and might have convinced Dad to do a LARGE water feature.

    Off to feed the masses and watch a Foyle for the evening.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete