Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to my little blog about gardening in a city! Minneapolis, to be exact.  One of my best friends suggested I start a blog so he could keep up with what's happening on my little slice of paradise, and I took him up on the offer. Disclaimer:  I'm no professional-I just happen to have grown up in a garden-crazy household (and I swore through gritted teeth that I would NEVER do this stupid stuff when I was older) and I'm blessed with some really knowledgeable friends. I hope to share the goings-on of my gardens, and learn from all of you, too!
My husband and I live with our two dogs in a little white house (yes, there's even a white picket fence!) on the south side of town with lots of gardens scattered about. My love for plants is equally divided between edible and ornamental, so this blog will cover both. We find that we're mixing the two more and more-mostly because one thing an urban garden does not have is a lot of space. Last, but not least, Jon and I are committed to the principals of organic gardening, and while not experts by any stretch of the imagination, we hope to show how easy it is to do.
I also happen to be a chef, so if it's O.K. with you, I'll be sharing what happens once my lovelies are ripe and ready for eating, cooking, preserving and more.
Thanks for stopping by, 
Heather

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thanks Be!


It's been a day full of unexpected gifts. The kind of day that makes you happy to be a part of the universe.

A dear friend brought me (me!) a 19-year old Cab Sauv from his visit home to Texas, and a dear tomato plant produced a ripe, juicy, gorgeous Cherokee Purple, the first big tomato of the season.

Here they are, together:


The tomato was consumed, immediately.
The wine was stored away, waiting for an occasion worthy of opening it.

"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures"-Wilder

2 comments:

  1. Who was this mystery man who loves you so much? Could it have been a certian Mr. X?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, Madam, the mystery man is Mr. X!

    ReplyDelete