Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to my little blog about gardening in a city! Minneapolis, to be exact.  One of my best friends suggested I start a blog so he could keep up with what's happening on my little slice of paradise, and I took him up on the offer. Disclaimer:  I'm no professional-I just happen to have grown up in a garden-crazy household (and I swore through gritted teeth that I would NEVER do this stupid stuff when I was older) and I'm blessed with some really knowledgeable friends. I hope to share the goings-on of my gardens, and learn from all of you, too!
My husband and I live with our two dogs in a little white house (yes, there's even a white picket fence!) on the south side of town with lots of gardens scattered about. My love for plants is equally divided between edible and ornamental, so this blog will cover both. We find that we're mixing the two more and more-mostly because one thing an urban garden does not have is a lot of space. Last, but not least, Jon and I are committed to the principals of organic gardening, and while not experts by any stretch of the imagination, we hope to show how easy it is to do.
I also happen to be a chef, so if it's O.K. with you, I'll be sharing what happens once my lovelies are ripe and ready for eating, cooking, preserving and more.
Thanks for stopping by, 
Heather

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Chores-a-Plenty

Well, I did it.  I woke up, made some tea, and walked around the entire house with a note pad and pen, writing down every outdoor task in need of tasking.
Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with me...but this is coming from the girl who 1) created her own card catalog system for her books when she was in 4th grade 2) really enjoys an alphabetized spice drawer and 3) carries notepads around in every pocket, purse, and jacket, ready to make a list at all times!
Curious about what needs to be done in my urban garden?  It's probably not much different from yours, really.  Mostly a mix of fixing up, planting up, and weeding out.  At least we can be grateful in Minneapolis for some awesome weekend weather - highs in the mid to upper 60's, partly cloudy, and a light breeze.
For all of you list-lovers out there, here it is:
1) Water veg garden
2) Set up rain barrel
3) Uncover strawberry patch
4) Lay down straw?
5) Finish edging in front yard
6) Add more edging in back yard
7) Call fence company re. loose post
8) Poopy-scoop
9) Build tree branch bandshell (more on this later)
10) Weed lily-of-the-valley bed that runs the length of the house
11) Mulch
12) Finish edging the front boulevard gardens
13) Spread grass seed in dead spots, water in
14) Paint fence
A seriously big list, right?  Sometimes it's rather overwhelming, but I just keep reminding myself that once the chores are done, it'll be summertime and the living will be easy. Supposedly. Plus, I try really hard not to take on so much that it ceases being fun, so I plan to pick off several things this weekend and then some odds and ends throughout the week. 
 
Even with the major distraction of taking the husband and the completely perfect dog to May Day festivities, we got a fair amount accomplished!

The rain barrel is officially installed:

I can't wait to see how much we actually collect-and I must remember to buy some anti-mosquito tablets for the water.  

The edging is complete in the front boulevard gardens and along the herb garden.

As a big bonus, as I was installing the edging, our neighborhood grandpa-type came over and chatted my ear off.  He told me about how he was a chef before he joined "the service", and how much he likes to garden.  He does have some really nice things going on at his house, actually. We bonded over the fact that we both think Cherokee Purples are the fairest tomato of them all, I asked him what the big plants he grows out front every year are, and I was lucky enough to find this on my front steps this morning:


Hibiscus bulbs!  Or cana lilys!  Or whatever it actually is that he put in the bag.  Do you see his adorable instructions, in cursive?

It really looks like ginger, and since canna lilys are in the same family, I'm going with that.

It's kind of fun not knowing what to expect, isn't it?

The lily-of-the-valley bed is weeded:

And I think I'll cap the weekend off with a cold beer on the front stoop.  How Bronx of me.


4 comments:

  1. It must be genetic. Your father and I spent the past two days getting our vegetables planted. We live in southern IN and already have peas blooming, strawberried, rashberry's and garlic up and going. Where did you get your rain barrel at?? Also what was the name of the detachable garden tolols, german made, that we gave Jonathan for xmas one year. I need some new tools

    how do you post a picture with a comment?? I have a special weed in my garden I wanted to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list reminds me of a refrigerator magnet your mother once had: DOING HOUSEWORK IS LIKE TRYING PUT TO BEADS ON A STRING WITH NO KNOT ON THE END !!! I am also amazed that you had a card catalog of your books as a 4th grader.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mom-
    Our rain barrel was part of a City of Mpls deal-we signed up for one, and only had to pay $40 for it. Quite a bargain, of course, but the City has a pretty good conservation gardening program.
    The tools are called Wolf-garten, and we really love them.
    Dad-
    I actually remember that magnet. And when I wasn't keeping track of my books, I was running the SCS (Secret Cerberus Society)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the bag your neighborhood Grandpa left on your porch. Sounds like something my own Grandpa (with his own magnificent garden) would do, so I quite like imagining you and him having a conversation. And he also writes in scrawly cursive :)
    - Lindsey

    ReplyDelete