Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to my little blog about gardening in a city! Minneapolis, to be exact.  One of my best friends suggested I start a blog so he could keep up with what's happening on my little slice of paradise, and I took him up on the offer. Disclaimer:  I'm no professional-I just happen to have grown up in a garden-crazy household (and I swore through gritted teeth that I would NEVER do this stupid stuff when I was older) and I'm blessed with some really knowledgeable friends. I hope to share the goings-on of my gardens, and learn from all of you, too!
My husband and I live with our two dogs in a little white house (yes, there's even a white picket fence!) on the south side of town with lots of gardens scattered about. My love for plants is equally divided between edible and ornamental, so this blog will cover both. We find that we're mixing the two more and more-mostly because one thing an urban garden does not have is a lot of space. Last, but not least, Jon and I are committed to the principals of organic gardening, and while not experts by any stretch of the imagination, we hope to show how easy it is to do.
I also happen to be a chef, so if it's O.K. with you, I'll be sharing what happens once my lovelies are ripe and ready for eating, cooking, preserving and more.
Thanks for stopping by, 
Heather

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Happenings





It's a chilly morning for mid-May, only about 40 degrees with wind gusts up to 20 mph! There's a chance of frost early tomorrow morning, so I'll wait until Sunday afternoon to plant the bell and banana peppers Josh gave me, and the herbs that I hope to purchase this weekend.
Not much of a morning for jumping outside, at least not without a sweater and a hat, so how about a little pictorial review of what's been happening around the gardens over the past 10 days?
Overall, everything is really growing vigorously, and some flowers are starting to bloom!


My peas are a few inches tall:


The lettuces are starting to distinguish themselves:


The strawberries are starting to bloom:


So are the crabapples (how I love these trees!):


Onion and garlic chives are going strong:


Lily-of-the-Valley are about to burst:


One of my peonies is doing really well (Frank keeps peeing on the other one, we'll see if it survives the nitrogen overload):

My prairie sage is spreading and I'm happy to let it compete with those pesky little weeds:


And best of all, sweet Frank bought me about 20 little hops plants for Mother's Day:

This was to make up for the 3 hydrangea he killed last year.  Good boy, Frank!

No comments:

Post a Comment