Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to my little blog about gardening in a city! Minneapolis, to be exact.  One of my best friends suggested I start a blog so he could keep up with what's happening on my little slice of paradise, and I took him up on the offer. Disclaimer:  I'm no professional-I just happen to have grown up in a garden-crazy household (and I swore through gritted teeth that I would NEVER do this stupid stuff when I was older) and I'm blessed with some really knowledgeable friends. I hope to share the goings-on of my gardens, and learn from all of you, too!
My husband and I live with our two dogs in a little white house (yes, there's even a white picket fence!) on the south side of town with lots of gardens scattered about. My love for plants is equally divided between edible and ornamental, so this blog will cover both. We find that we're mixing the two more and more-mostly because one thing an urban garden does not have is a lot of space. Last, but not least, Jon and I are committed to the principals of organic gardening, and while not experts by any stretch of the imagination, we hope to show how easy it is to do.
I also happen to be a chef, so if it's O.K. with you, I'll be sharing what happens once my lovelies are ripe and ready for eating, cooking, preserving and more.
Thanks for stopping by, 
Heather

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hello again

Here I am!  I can't believe it's been so long since I've posted.  Work is always very busy for two weeks in May-we take part in a pair of awesome fundraisers: Winefest and the Eastside Neighborhood Association wine tasting. For me, that means about 1,000 miniature Thai Fish Cakes in lettuce cups with dipping sauce, and Chili-Whiskey Sno-Cones.  That's right, I said Chili-Whiskey Sno-Cones.  I've always wanted to play with a sno-cone machine and this year was my big chance. It did not disappoint!  Hot and cold, sweet and sour, these are great.  If you want to try it at home, use Andreas Viestad's recipe, adding a squeeze of fresh lime juice at the end. I've even had a request to operate a chili-whiskey sno-cone machine at the birthday bash of a good friend.
But I digress. All this to say sorry I've been gone for a while, but fish cakes and sno-cones are behind me and plenty of urban gardening ahead of me.  
Speaking of urban, here's a problem with urban gardening that I'll bet none of us have thought of yet: Lead in the soil. For a little bone-chilling information about our sweet little vegetable gardens behind our sweet little pre-WWII homes, please read this article from the New York Times.  I'm pretty sure at least Josh and I will be testing our soil ASAP. I'll be sure to update everyone with the results-and I guess it's better to know something bad than not know at all, right? Besides, if the worst happens and lead levels are high, we adjust a few things and carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment