Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to my little blog about gardening in a city! Minneapolis, to be exact.  One of my best friends suggested I start a blog so he could keep up with what's happening on my little slice of paradise, and I took him up on the offer. Disclaimer:  I'm no professional-I just happen to have grown up in a garden-crazy household (and I swore through gritted teeth that I would NEVER do this stupid stuff when I was older) and I'm blessed with some really knowledgeable friends. I hope to share the goings-on of my gardens, and learn from all of you, too!
My husband and I live with our two dogs in a little white house (yes, there's even a white picket fence!) on the south side of town with lots of gardens scattered about. My love for plants is equally divided between edible and ornamental, so this blog will cover both. We find that we're mixing the two more and more-mostly because one thing an urban garden does not have is a lot of space. Last, but not least, Jon and I are committed to the principals of organic gardening, and while not experts by any stretch of the imagination, we hope to show how easy it is to do.
I also happen to be a chef, so if it's O.K. with you, I'll be sharing what happens once my lovelies are ripe and ready for eating, cooking, preserving and more.
Thanks for stopping by, 
Heather

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Come Hell or Highwater

Why the dramatic title today?  Well, because the husband and I completed a very important task, in the rain, (don't worry Mom, no lightning for miles) and it was a little touch-and-go at times.
What could be so important?
These little angels:



You see, I have a very generous friend who wanted to create a path down the center of his giant raspberry thicket, all the better to walk through and pick the berries and such.  In order to do that, he had to dig up lots of little raspberry plants.  Most importantly, he did so with an abundance of care, being sure to keep a dirt ball around the root system of each cane so that some lucky devil like me could take them home and plant them.
I picked them up this evening after work and gym, driving to Northeast under darkening skies and reports of hail to the north.  I was pretty sure it wouldn't be too big of a storm for little ol' south Minneapolis, but you never know. So, I raced home as fast as I could and started double-digging the new raspberry patch.  It was nice, really, working in a cold breeze and in the shade.
My sweet husband came home from the grocery store and was willing to help out (even though he hates getting cold and wet) and we got the last little guy in as the rain ended.  Did I mention getting the last three in involved moving the compost bin?  No small task, there. Ugh!
Anyhow, they're in, and I have to give a great big thanks to Tony. That's like $200 worth of raspberry plants, if I had to buy them on my own.
You see, that's one of the best things about being an urban gardener: the community.  Since there's so many of us packed into a small area, there's that many more of us nearby to lend a hand.  Of course rural communities have strong farm & garden communities, but I don't have to drive more than 20 minutes to get to anyone in my sphere. We're so rich in resources in the Twin Cities: the neighborhood Grandpa with the canna lilies and the surprise pot of onion chives on the front porch yesterday, Tony with the billions of raspberries, Josh with the perfect little tomato seedlings, the list goes on and on.  We really do have a super-strong "urban farmstead" scene, for lack of a better phrase.  There's lots and lots of people out there that want to ditch the Scott-chem lawns, grow some good healthy stuff to eat, do a little canning, share plants and tools, and even raise a few chickens for fresh eggs! Our Grannies would be shocked to see our generation embrace this kind of self-sustainability, but wouldn't they be proud? Now that's what I call progress.

1 comment:

  1. I've always liked the idea of an "urban homesteader."

    ReplyDelete